Re: play-sound-file & esd

From: joakim
Subject: Re: play-sound-file & esd
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:14:41 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

Just some notes:

- Alsa enables multiopen only if the underlying hardware supports
  this. Cheap laptop audio normally doesnt for instance.
- There are several sound daemons out there:
  - esd used by gnome
  - arts used by kde
  - gstreamer
  - jackd used by people interested in music applications

I would say that finding a solution for emacs that always manages to
play a sound withouth configuration is next to impossible.

Maybe a solution would be to make it possible to configure an external
player command, when the internal method is not suficient?

--
Joakim Verona
http://www.verona.se