Re: address@hidden: restoring emacs session fails for missing files]

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: address@hidden: restoring emacs session fails for missing files]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:45:59 +0000 (UTC)

   If you kill the buffer foo *before* calling desktop-save, I don't see
   how it can be saved in the desktop file.
   Are you shure that you killed the buffer foo before calling desktop-save?

My apologies.  My error.  I killed the buffer *after* calling
desktop-save.  The first time, I loaded the library, too.  I did not
have to create and save any more buffers, however.

I just did it again, still with
    Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, 2006 May 18, 10:17 UTC
    GNU Emacs 22.0.50.72 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.16)
    started with

        emacs/src/emacs -Q -D

First I created `foo' with contents, "this is foo.
"

The *Buffer List* shows:

    .   foo                     13  Fundamental   ~/foo
      * *scratch*               72  Lisp Interaction
      * *Messages*             220  Fundamental

I tried to evaluate (desktop-save "~bob/") but received a `void
function' error.  So, in the *scratch* buffer I evaluated

 (desktop-save-mode 1)

and then was able to evaluate:

 (desktop-save "~bob/")

I killed that instance of Emacs and started another plain vanilla instance.

In that instance in the previously empty *scratch* buffer I was able
to evaluate

 (desktop-read "~bob/")

and did not have to evaluate  (desktop-save-mode 1).

I did not ever have to create and save another buffer.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8