Windows Printing

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Windows Printing
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 00:20:08 +0200

It is now much easier to find documentation in Info about using Emacs on MS Windows (w32). That is very nice and I hope that will attract w32 users. However when looking at this I saw a problem with the information in "(emacs) Windows Printing".

Eli and I (with a lot of others involved) had a very long discussion about this on the help-gnu-emacs mailing list:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2006-01/msg00242.html

I think the tests I did clearly showed that everything does not work as the node above says. My conclusion was that the state of the printer is not reset when accessed in the way Emacs does it on w32. Getting the printer port is done in a standard way (I mean according to MS documentation) but sending the data is not supposed to be done as Emacs does it (if I understand this correctly, see the thread).

As it stands now I expect a lot of people to get into trouble when trying to print. There are two reliable ways to print on w32 that I am aware of (other ways has failed to me on most networked printers I have tried):

   - Use Ghostscript/GSview
- Use something like htmlize.el + the web browser. (There is an alternative to htmlize.el but I have not tested that.)

What should we do about this node?