Re: Comint Completion Broken

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Comint Completion Broken
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:03:12 +0800

From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
To: Romain Francoise <address@hidden>
CC: Herbert Euler <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:18:17 +0900

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:
>>   Typing a SPC deletes the completion window, typing anything else
>>   leaves the completion window in place.  [This seems like reasonable
>>   behavior -- fairly often I _want_ to leave the window in place, so I
>>   can select it and do more advanced searching or whatever.]
>
> The window used to get deleted automatically on key events, e.g.
>
>      u p TAB (window appears) t (window disappears) TAB
>  =>  uptime
>
> But that was apparently an accidental feature, and it caused a bug when
> selecting completion candidates with mouse-1 in the window:

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but as I recall, the "really old" behavior
(what was in Emacs 21) was more or less the same the current behavior.

I'm not entirely sure of the whole ugly history after that, but for a
while, I think pcomplete was used for comint completion, which had the
"window always gets deleted" behavior.  [but I can't find any record of
this in the  ChangeLog, so maybe it's just an illusion I had???]

Whether or not it's due to pcomplete, until fairly recently comint
seemed to be doing the "window always gets deleted" thing, which was
extremely annoying; I'm assuming that's what Nick fixed.

Anyway, the current behavior seems both user-friendly and compatible
with Emacs 21.  So I'd say things are in a good state.

Well, in my opinion, deleting completion window automatically is
more user-friend.  Perhaps one wants completion always at hand,
but if one has already finished inputing (indicated by inserting
a unique string in completion window or typing SPC), the
completion window should be deleted automatically.  Otherwise,
one have to type C-x 1 to delete the completion window manually,
which is a bit boring.

And the most user-friend method seems to be, the completion
window gets updated and finally deleted as user inputing.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu