Re: %-escapes in file URL

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: %-escapes in file URL
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:33:35 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

A simple and natural policy is to always keep URLs in escaped forms,
whether or not they are used inside Emacs only.  So, my proposal is as
follows:

  * Always treat URLs as those in escaped form.  Don't re-escape or
    unescape them as long as they are URLs (i.e, have a prefix such as
    "file://").  Increasing the kind of escaped characters is not
    re-escaping.

  * When creating a URL from a file name, encode the file name with
    the file name coding system and then %-escape it.

  * When creating a file name from a URL, %-unescape the URL and then
    decode it with the file name coding system.

I'm fine with that policy.  Can you checkin your patch?

        Jan D.