Re: Problems with HOME on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Problems with HOME on w32
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 08:52:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 22:37:45 +0200
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>

- Create "C:\.emacs". Put something like (message "c:/emacs here") in it.
- In cmd.exe shell do "set home="
- Then start Emacs from this cmd.exe shell with just "emacs.exe".

The Emacs frame that is shown is for me then splitted in two windows with a warning in the bottom window saying

Error (initialization): User has no home directory

It turns out the code in init_environment was simply not dump-safe.  I
think I fixed it now in CVS; please check.  But beware: to reproduce
the bug you _must_ dump Emacs when C:/.emacs does not exist, then
invoke the dumped Emacs with C:/.emacs in place.  If temacs sees
C:/.emacs, the bug will not happen, even with the sources before my
change.  This puzzled me at first, as just recompiling w32.c seemed to
solve the problem.
Thanks Eli, it looks like the problem is fixed now.