Re: play-sound-file & esd

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: play-sound-file & esd
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 10:51:18 +0200

Burton Samograd skrev:
address@hidden writes:

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
Maybe a solution would be to make it possible to configure an external
player command, when the internal method is not suficient?

I just wrote some code for my jabber client to play sounds
asynchronously using an external player app so that I could get event
sounds without having my system hang to wait for playback.  I looked
at the sound.c code and was trying to figure a quick way for
non-blocking playback, but didn't have the time and hacked a elisp
version using call-process-shell-command.

I can post the code if anyone is interested, but right now it's
specific to my demands of playing a different sound on each event; I
was planning on ripping it out and sending it to .sources so this
could give me the kick to get it done.

I guess we need to add async sound playing in the future. But then you have to add a cancel-sound as well. Do you have that? Or one could restrict sounds we play to not be longer than a second or two. What external command are you using? I guess one would have to use different commands for esd, jack, alsa, oss and so on.

   Jan D.