Re: CVS Emacs cygwin build problem.

From: Steven Wu
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs cygwin build problem.
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 06:36:02 -0700

Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:48:22 -0700
From: "Steven Wu" <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

I guess the advantage of my approach is that we don't need anything
else. Cygwin make.exe builds the Emacs fine, except for that little
thing.

Maybe today all you need is to change those two files.  Tomorrow, the
same problem could happen in other places as well, even if we find
some ingenious way of working around the real problems in your
suggestion, as pointed out by Jason.

The upshot of all this discussion is that there's a fundamental
incompatibility between the Cygwin Make and the native Windows build
of Emacs.  It's not good engineering to apply band-aids for such
fundamental problems; instead, one should go ahead and solve the
incompatibility itself.

In practical terms, this means either (a) use a native port of GNU
Make, e.g. one that is built with -mno-cygwin, or (b) lobby the Cygwin
developers to provide a special switch to the Cygwin Make which would
cause it to use native Windows d:/foo/bar file-name syntax.

Actually, cygwin make has --win32 switch which tells the make to use windows path and etc. I can experiment a little bit and see if there is other problem. If that works, the only change will be in nt/ INSTALL file to tell people to use that option.

steve