Re: M-g in dired

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: M-g in dired
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:45:47 +0300

>     I recall I proposed two variants for dired-goto-file:
>     `M-g f' (and `M-g M-f') and `M-g g' (and `M-g M-g').
>     And you agreed to `M-g f' (and `M-g M-f').
>
>     I also proposed to make the key binding `M-g f' global,
>     but this could be implemented ATR (after the release).
>
> That command makes no sense except in a Dired buffer,
> so I don't understand that proposal.

Let's say you are editing a file in the Emacs buffer.  When you need
to perform some operation on this file in Dired, how do you do this?

The quickest way to do this I know is to type C-x d RET, and to find
the edited file in the (sometimes very long) list of all files
in the same directory.  Then to type `n n ...' several times to put
point on the file, or to type `C-s filename' to arrive at it with the help
of isearch, or to type `M-g filename RET' (when M-g was not a prefix key).

With the global key binding `M-g f' all this is achieved by `M-g f M-n RET',
i.e. `M-n' puts the edited file name as default in the prompt, and after RET
it puts point just on the file in the dired buffer, and you can immediately
start performing necessary operations on this file.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/