Re: C-h K and C-h F in the Help menu

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: C-h K and C-h F in the Help menu
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 23:19:02 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
"Find Key in Manual" and "Find Command in Manual" are in the "More
Manuals" submenu of the "Help" menu.  I think they should either in
"Search Documentation" or in "Describe", because these two submenus
are about Emacs, while "More Manuals" is about manuals of other
packages.

Does anyone object to moving these two items?

Sounds ok to me.

I recently got some comments about the help menu in CVS Emacs from a long term Emacs user and fan (+15 y usage). One of the comments were that there are too many things in the help menu. I wonder if it could help if it was restructured a bit more again? Some suggestions for quick fixes:

- Just one tutorial entry with two subentries:

   Tutorial
       Tutorial in English
       Tutorial in other languages

- Just one bug entry with two subentries:

   Emacs Problems and Bugs
       Emacs Known Problems
       Send Bug Report

- Just one about entry:

   About Emacs
       Welcome Screen
       Copying Conditions
       (Non)Warranty
       Getting New Versions

- Move "Find Emacs Packages" to under "Search Documentation"

Another complaint was that the manual is not easily available in HTML which is the "standard" today. Could perhaps the Emacs Info node start with a link to a description of how to get the manual in HTML format?