Re: C-h K and C-h F in the Help menu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: C-h K and C-h F in the Help menu
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 00:48:00 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>> Maybe you are right, but is it not documentation you are searching
>>> for in "Find Emacs Packages"?
>>>

>> No.  Not every information is documentation.
>>
> You have a point there, but are you sure that it actually fits in this case?

>>> Maybe not for a novice?
>>>

>> We don't want to lead users into dead ends, even if it is easy to do.
>>
> They are already there. I for one started reading the documentation in
> HTML before using Info. Now I only use Info of course, but it took
> quite a while. I think the HTML documentation helped me quite a lot in
> the beginning. Too many new things at once makes it a bit harder to
> get somewhere.

The navigation is in the menus and you page forward with space and
backward with backspace.

I am afraid that this is much better than the current state of Firefox
where keys will do nothing unless you clicked into the page
previously, and then will skip by quite unpredictable amounts and
might get stuck.

No, I don't think that an external reader is useful for somebody
learning Emacs.  The HTML is a red herring: the underlying format is
not user-visible, anyway.  I would not want to start an external info
reader (instead of an external HTML reader) either.