Re: M-g in dired

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: M-g in dired
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 07:28:54 +0300

>     The quickest way to do this I know is to type C-x d RET, and to find
>     the edited file in the (sometimes very long) list of all files
>     in the same directory.
>
> I think we want to make it easier to get the full visited file name
> into the minibuffer after C-x d.  For instance, putting it into the
> history after the default file name, so that you can get it by typing
> M-n M-n.

C-x d already puts the file name of the current buffer into the default
value of the minibuffer accessible by the single M-n.  But when C-x d
accepts a file name, it has the different effect: it produces the dired
buffer with only one file whose name was given for C-x d (all other files
are filtered out by a wildcard).

For me this behavior is useless.  I'd like to display the dired buffer
with all files and to move point to the file with the name specified
for C-x d.

>     With the global key binding `M-g f' all this is achieved by `M-g f M-n
> RET'
>
> Now I understand what you want, but it is not the same as the existing
> command dired-goto-file.  That only moves point within a dired buffer.

The only difference from the existing dired-goto-file is that when
used as a global key it would create the dired buffer before moving
point to the given file name.

> What you want is not absurd as a command, but I don't think it belongs
> in M-g.

One reason to put it on M-g prefix was mnemonics "Go to File" for `M-g f'.
But perhaps reusing `C-x C-j' from dired-x is a better key.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/