Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 11:54:52 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup skrev:

>>> Hmm.  Is there any reason why F10 under X Windows doesn't activate
>>> the visible toolbar so that I can move around with the cursor keys?
>>> Binding F10 to `tmm-menubar' is probably not that helpful...
>>
>> Maybe to accessibility dependent people?  On the other hand, walking
>> toolkit menus should be pretty standard for accessibility tools.
>>
>> In my opinion, it would make sense to offer this kind of drop-down
>> menu traversal both in text mode as well as in the toolkits.  I don't
>> see that tmm-menubar has advantages that make it worth making it the
>> default.
>>
>> I'd vote to add this to todo.texi.  This is one part of CUA where the
>> cost of accommodating it does not appear to have a negative impact
>> elsewhere within Emacs.
>>

> I have a patch for the X11 versions of Emacs that activates the
> menubar when F10 is pressed.  I think that is very common, I have not
> seen any application that activates the toolbar on F10.

I am trying to figure out what you _intend_ to be saying.  #1 is that
you mean just what you wrote, in which case I can't figure out why you
are bringing the toolbar into play.  #2 would be that you mean "I
_don't_ think that is very common, I have not seen any application
that activates the _menubar_ on F10".  This may be, but we can't
easily use ALT here.  But if people have a way to traverse the menus
by keyboard (in both X11 and tty), this goes a long way towards
accommodating accustomed keyboard/GUI interaction, even though the
entry is not completely what they are used to.  And there might be the
possibility to get something closer to ALT-activation under some
circumstances, in a similar way that CUA-mode gets closer to utilizing
C-x and C-c.