Re: ifinfo vs ifnottex

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: ifinfo vs ifnottex
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 16:07:26 -0500

    How does one test the XML output?

My advice is, don't.

But if you feel the need to do so, you'd need some xml-parsing program,
e.g., xmllint.  There are known bugs in the 4.8 XML output, too, so any
such tests would probably fail anyway ...

    Also, what should "make install" do to those additional output
    formats? nothing at all?

I don't advise installing XML or Docbook.  As I said, those targets were
not added to the standards.  Only HTML, PDF, and PS.

If you do want to build/install XML, I highly recommend not calling the
target or the output directory plain `xml' -- it's too generic (Docbook
is also XML, among thousands of other things).  Perhaps `texinfoxml'.

Best,
Karl