Q on performance with 10000 faces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Q on performance with 10000 faces
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 17:02:40 -0700

I have a color palette that is 100 chars by 100 chars. Each char has a
different face text-property value. Once the palette is displayed, it brings
Emacs to a crawl. That is, just having the palette displayed makes
everything in Emacs slow to a crawl from then on. If the palette is
iconified, then there is no problem with response time. It is the mere
display of it that clogs the wheels.

There was a thread in 2005/11 about slow frame creation when there are
numerous faces. That is not the problem here - I can live with slow frame
creation. The problem is that after the frame with the faces is created
Emacs becomes and remains unbearably slow.

Reducing the character size to, say, 3, improves responsiveness a little
bit, I think (and that smaller size is in fact what I want), but things are
still so slow that it makes the feature unusable.

Does this mean that Emacs cannot reasonably be expected to display 10000
face text-properties? If so, any advice on workarounds or other approaches?
Is the slowdown perhaps because of some kind of automatic updating or
refreshing, which I could turn off somehow (I hope)? The palette is
constant; there is no need to refresh it (except because the frame is moved
etc.). Its face text-property values will never change.

The palette is quite nice visually, and I would like to be able to use it
(e.g. for color selection), but this is obviously not the way to go. I'm
hoping this might be a bug and not a design limitation, but perhaps that
hope is unrealistic.

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2006-03-20 on W2ONE
X server distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Id:/g/include'