Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:53:53 +0200

Jan Djärv wrote:
As far as I know F10 also always works on w32 for activating the menus. However the most usual way on w32 is to use the ALT key. Is that the usual way in Gnome/Gtk+ too?

Most usual depends on what the user do, but keyboard shortcuts for menus, using ALT + some key, are available if the menus are set up like that by the program. Emacs does not.

What is missing in Emacs here? I know from what you told me before that Emacs does not setup accelerator keys for the menus (which at least on w32 are underlined characters). However on w32 this is not needed to activate the menus with ALT. It suffices to just press ALT. (Usually once but sometimes in some apps twice, which I believe is due to somewhat bad handling of accessibility in those programs.)