Re: Tooltips and menus

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Tooltips and menus
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:29:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:17:31 +0200
Cc: address@hidden, Chong Yidong <address@hidden>

    Apparently not.  This is why most applications, as far as I can tell,
    avoid using tooltips in menu entries.

Should Emacs do that too?
I am using Emacs with GTK (though I don't think the toolkit makes much
of a difference) and I find the tooltips on menu entries not
disruptive (they do a pretty good job at disappearing).  I don't use
the menus very much though, probably like most advanced users.  The
tooltips help keeping the menu entries themselves concise and thus
recognizable.

I'd vote to keep them.

Same here.

Since they are very uncommon in other applications, I vote for turning them of by default, with an option to turn them on. An alternative would be to have them displayed in the minibuffer by default.

        Jan D.