Re: Tooltips and menus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tooltips and menus
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:30:15 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>>>
>>> I'd vote to keep them.
>>
>> Same here.
>
> Since they are very uncommon in other applications, I vote for
> turning them of by default, with an option to turn them on.

The question is whether they are considered helpful in general, not
whether other applications have them.  Emacs has a lot of things that
other applications don't.  My vote to keep them was because I
considered them useful.  Turning them off by default will, like most
other user convenience settings, have the effect that nobody ever
notices their availability.  In particular those users who would
profit from them.

> An alternative would be to have them displayed in the minibuffer by
> default.

That's less natural.