Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:59:04 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Jan Djärv wrote:
>>
>> Toolkits in general doesn't choose accelerators, the programmers of
>> the applications that uses the toolkit does.  However, many menu
>> entries are similar in a lot of applications
>> (Open/Save/Copy/Paste/...) so we can choose those to be similar.
> For the record: This holds for w32 menus too.

I have to say that this thread leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Two reasons:

a) new feature, not to be checked in.  If it is checked in, testing
and ironing out problems and possibly choosing accelerators, even
though they could possibly be provided by code in tmm-menubar and
consolidation with all platforms will cost considerable time and
effort.

b) it is rather essential functionality.  I want to see this soon, at
least in basics.

We need to get our back free for working stuff like that into Emacs.
Personally, I'd say add the menus on F10 now, think about accelerators
after the release.  But I realize that this is dissatisfactorily both
with catering for the feature properly, and with getting our release
out.

I think we have reached more or less the state where we are shooting
ourselves in the foot more with regard to code quality by further
delaying the release.  Regardless of how the menu issue is going to be
handled right now, I'd breathe a sign of relief if we declared pretest
to start a week from now.  And target a release one month from now.
And if we miss that date, fork a release branch at that time and get
it out when no significant improvement fixes appear to make it.

Telling people who want to improve Emacs "this is a great idea, and
we'll probably have it appear in a release in four more years" is not
helping.  Let's get this release over with.  It may be less than
perfect, but it's better than the last one.