Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:19:29 +0200

>     I am checking for factual correctness of display.texi at the moment.
>
> Thank you for checking it!
>
>     However, if I do
>
>     M-: (progn (redraw-display) (let ((redisplay-dont-pause t)) (sleep-for
>     1) (sit-for 0) (sleep-for 5))) RET
>
>     and press C-n within 1 second, then no redisplay occurs for the whole
>     duration of 6 seconds.
>
> That seems correct to me.  sit-for sees there is input, so it does
> not redisplay.
>
> Do you perceive a contradiction between any part of the documentation
> and this observed behavior?

Richard, I quoted it immediately above and you snipped it in your
reply:

      You can request a display update, but only if no input is pending,
    with @code{(sit-for 0)}.  To force a display update even when input is
    pending, do this:

    @example
    (let ((redisplay-dont-pause t))
      (sit-for 0))
    @end example

Yes, I see a contradiction here.  Setting `redisplay-dont-pause' does
not have the declared effect, to wit "to force a display update even
when input is pending".