Re: ewoc--adjust ugliness

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: ewoc--adjust ugliness
Date: 26 May 2006 18:49:38 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it's more important to make it backward compatible, than to
> allow clients to test easily whether the new feature is present.
> First things first.

i disagree (looks like i was too hasty concluding there was a
concensus), but more out of laziness than any contrarian sentiment.
hmm, writing that last sentence has shamed me into exerting a little
more effort [munge munge]...

please find below another patch.  i have tested it lightly w/ pcvs.el
and pcvs-info.el prior to 2006-05-18, and also w/ current sources,
modified to specify NOSEP in the call to `ewoc-create'.

 * emacs-lisp/ewoc.el (ewoc): Add member `hf-pp' to this structure.
 (ewoc--refresh-node): Reseat node's start marker.
 (ewoc--wrap): New func.
 (ewoc-create): Take additional arg NOSEP.  If nil, wrap node and
 header/footer pretty-printers.  Save header/footer pretty-printer.
 (ewoc-set-hf): Use ewoc's header/footer pretty-printer.

thanks go to Stefan for suggesting NOSEP.

thi

diff -c -r1.30 ewoc.el
*** ewoc.el     26 May 2006 08:29:13 -0000      1.30
--- ewoc.el     26 May 2006 22:33:06 -0000
***************
*** 186,192 ****
            (:constructor ewoc--create
                          (buffer pretty-printer header footer dll))
            (:conc-name ewoc--))
!   buffer pretty-printer header footer dll last-node)

  (defmacro ewoc--set-buffer-bind-dll-let* (ewoc varlist &rest forms)
    "Execute FORMS with ewoc--buffer selected as current buffer,
--- 186,192 ----
            (:constructor ewoc--create
                          (buffer pretty-printer header footer dll))
            (:conc-name ewoc--))
!   buffer pretty-printer header footer dll last-node hf-pp)

  (defmacro ewoc--set-buffer-bind-dll-let* (ewoc varlist &rest forms)
    "Execute FORMS with ewoc--buffer selected as current buffer,
***************
*** 248,268 ****

  (defun ewoc--refresh-node (pp node)
    "Redisplay the element represented by NODE using the pretty-printer PP."
!   (let ((inhibit-read-only t)
!         (m (ewoc--node-start-marker node))
!         (R (ewoc--node-right node)))
      ;; First, remove the string from the buffer:
      (delete-region m (ewoc--node-start-marker R))
      ;; Calculate and insert the string.
      (goto-char m)
      (funcall pp (ewoc--node-data node))
      (ewoc--adjust m (point) R)))

  ;;;
  ;;;                  Public members of the Ewoc package

  ;;;###autoload
! (defun ewoc-create (pretty-printer &optional header footer)
    "Create an empty ewoc.

  The ewoc will be inserted in the current buffer at the current position.
--- 248,281 ----

  (defun ewoc--refresh-node (pp node)
    "Redisplay the element represented by NODE using the pretty-printer PP."
!   (let* ((inhibit-read-only t)
!          (m (ewoc--node-start-marker node))
!          (pos (marker-position m))
!          (R (ewoc--node-right node)))
      ;; First, remove the string from the buffer:
      (delete-region m (ewoc--node-start-marker R))
      ;; Calculate and insert the string.
      (goto-char m)
      (funcall pp (ewoc--node-data node))
+     ;; If the ewoc was created w/ NOSEP, then this node's start marker will
+     ;; have been pushed back by the wrapped pretty printer (sigh).  Reseat it.
+     (set-marker m pos)
      (ewoc--adjust m (point) R)))
+
+ (defun ewoc--wrap (func)
+   (lexical-let ((ewoc--user-pp func))
+     (lambda (data)
+       (insert-before-markers "\n")
+       (forward-char -1)
+       (funcall ewoc--user-pp data)
+       (forward-char 1))))
+

  ;;;
  ;;;                  Public members of the Ewoc package

  ;;;###autoload
! (defun ewoc-create (pretty-printer &optional header footer nosep)
    "Create an empty ewoc.

  The ewoc will be inserted in the current buffer at the current position.
***************
*** 275,297 ****

  Optional second and third arguments HEADER and FOOTER are strings,
  possibly empty, that will always be present at the top and bottom,
! respectively, of the ewoc."
    (let* ((dummy-node (ewoc--node-create 'DL-LIST 'DL-LIST))
           (dll (progn (setf (ewoc--node-right dummy-node) dummy-node)
                       (setf (ewoc--node-left dummy-node) dummy-node)
                       dummy-node))
!          (new-ewoc
!           (ewoc--create (current-buffer)
!                         pretty-printer nil nil dll))
           (pos (point))
           head foot)
      (ewoc--set-buffer-bind-dll new-ewoc
        ;; Set default values
        (unless header (setq header ""))
        (unless footer (setq footer ""))
        (setf (ewoc--node-start-marker dll) (copy-marker pos)
!             foot (ewoc--insert-new-node  dll footer 'insert)
!             head (ewoc--insert-new-node foot header 'insert)
              (ewoc--footer new-ewoc) foot
              (ewoc--header new-ewoc) head))
      ;; Return the ewoc
--- 288,316 ----

  Optional second and third arguments HEADER and FOOTER are strings,
  possibly empty, that will always be present at the top and bottom,
! respectively, of the ewoc.
!
! Normally, a newline is automatically inserted after the header,
! the footer and every node's printed representation.  Optional
! fourth arg NOSEP non-nil inhibits this."
    (let* ((dummy-node (ewoc--node-create 'DL-LIST 'DL-LIST))
           (dll (progn (setf (ewoc--node-right dummy-node) dummy-node)
                       (setf (ewoc--node-left dummy-node) dummy-node)
                       dummy-node))
!          (wrap (if nosep 'identity 'ewoc--wrap))
!          (new-ewoc (ewoc--create (current-buffer)
!                                  (funcall wrap pretty-printer) nil nil dll))
!          (hf-pp (funcall wrap 'insert))
           (pos (point))
           head foot)
+     (setf (ewoc--hf-pp new-ewoc) hf-pp)
      (ewoc--set-buffer-bind-dll new-ewoc
        ;; Set default values
        (unless header (setq header ""))
        (unless footer (setq footer ""))
        (setf (ewoc--node-start-marker dll) (copy-marker pos)
!             foot (ewoc--insert-new-node  dll footer hf-pp)
!             head (ewoc--insert-new-node foot header hf-pp)
              (ewoc--footer new-ewoc) foot
              (ewoc--header new-ewoc) head))
      ;; Return the ewoc
***************
*** 596,607 ****
    "Set the HEADER and FOOTER of EWOC."
    (ewoc--set-buffer-bind-dll-let* ewoc
        ((head (ewoc--header ewoc))
!        (foot (ewoc--footer ewoc)))
      (setf (ewoc--node-data head) header
            (ewoc--node-data foot) footer)
      (save-excursion
!       (ewoc--refresh-node 'insert head)
!       (ewoc--refresh-node 'insert foot))))

  (provide 'ewoc)
--- 615,627 ----
    "Set the HEADER and FOOTER of EWOC."
    (ewoc--set-buffer-bind-dll-let* ewoc
        ((head (ewoc--header ewoc))
!        (foot (ewoc--footer ewoc))
!        (hf-pp (ewoc--hf-pp ewoc)))
      (setf (ewoc--node-data head) header
            (ewoc--node-data foot) footer)
      (save-excursion
!       (ewoc--refresh-node hf-pp head)
!       (ewoc--refresh-node hf-pp foot))))

  (provide 'ewoc)

===end===