Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 10:14:35 -0400

>> IMO changing the code is best. Otherwise, IIUC, there is no way one can
>> force redisplay from a lisp program.

> I think we should define what does ``force redisplay'' mean, before we
> decide how to provide such a feature.  Does it mean redisplay
> everything (i.e. every window on every frame)?  Or just the current
> frame, or maybe just the current window?  (The latter should be
> available with "C-l", I think.)  Do we want to let Lisp programs
> specify what they want redisplayed, perhaps?

I think we have to distinguish between a redisplay that does a "redraw" and
one that does what the toplevel loop normally.  The "redraw" does call for
a specification of what to redraw, but the normal toplevel redisplay doesn't
(it just looks for things that have changed since the last "redisplay").
For redraw, we already have redraw-display and redraw-frame and
redraw-modeline, so I think we're set.  For forcing the display to be
updated OTOH only sit-for is available and it's not reliable.

        Stefan