Re: Recent documents: Emacs and GNOME integration

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: Recent documents: Emacs and GNOME integration
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:28:27 -0700 (PDT)

>> >  > 4. Suppress the "Wrote /home/wohler/.recently-used" message that
>> >  >    appears every time you visit a file.
>> >
>> > I don't think that message can be prevented, but perhaps the echo area
>> > could be restored after ~/.recently-used is saved.  Does anyone know
>> how
>> > to do that?  Or will a simple (message "") call to clear it suffice?
>>
>> `write-region' suppresses that message if its 5th argument is neither t,
>> nil, nor a string.  Is that what you want?
>
> I don't think so, because that would also prevent last-save-file-modtime
> from being set and the buffer would still be marked as modified -- right?

Is it important that the ~/.recently-used file be -visited- rather than
merely written?  It is, however, probably a misfeature that file-visiting
and message-printing are coupled like that.  You could always use
(let (message-log-max) (with-temp-message (or (current-message) "")
(foo))) to, more or less, "sweep under the carpet" foo's messages (though
they'll still be visible during foo's execution).

Davis

shipping.