Re: Recent documents: Emacs and GNOME integration

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: Recent documents: Emacs and GNOME integration
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:10:40 -0700 (PDT)

> I was going to respond that the ~/.recently-used file has to be visited
> in order to make the necessary changes, and that it's only important
> that the buffer's state matches the file in the case that the user had
> previously visited the file himself/herself.  But your question made me
> realize that the file's contents could be updated in a temporary buffer
> and then written to disk -- except that the question of what to do in
> case the file is already visited in a buffer becomes even trickier,
> especially if the buffer has been modified.

Just see if the file is already being visited (`get-file-buffer') and use
its visiting buffer (complete with the "written" message) if so.  The only
problem then is if the user has made that buffer incompatibly formatted.
But then again, this could already happen with the file, so it's not an
additional difficulty.

I might also point out that the other things `write-region' does without
the message-suppressing VISIT argument can be done with
`set-visited-file-name' and `set-visited-file-modtime'.  Maybe that helps
when doing it the way you want?

Davis

PS - You may realize it perfectly well, but in case you don't: you haven't
been including emacs-devel in your posts as far as I can tell.

shipping.