Re: Cleaning up NEWS, ONEWS, ... files

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Cleaning up NEWS, ONEWS, ... files
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:57:31 +0200

>     I suggest (and will do the work if accepted) that we reorganize
>     the NEWS files so that
>
>     NEWS is about the current release, i.e. 22.x
>
>     NEWS.21 is about emacs 21.x  (split from current NEWS)
>
>     NEWS.20 is about emacs 20.x  (split from current NEWS)
>
> Ok, please do.

Good!  I'll do it within one week.

A few questions:

1) Currently, we have a Copyright notice both at the top and bottom
   of each NEWS file.  Isn't the notice at the end sufficient,
   as we already says this at the top:

      See the end for copying conditions.

   or we could make it clearer by writing:

      See the end for copyright and copying conditions.

2) Years in those "top" and "bottom" copyright notices are
   out of sync in at least some of those files.  I suppose that
   I shall at least merge the two lists to get one consistent list
   when they are out of sync.

3) Shall I add 2006 to all of the NEWS.* files, even if we didn't
   change them (except for chaning the name)?

>     BTW, if already visiting a NEWS file, using C-h C-n could
>     automatically take you to an older or newer NEWS file, depending
>     on whether you are in the top or bottom half of the NEWS file.
>
> I don't like that feature; please don't.

Ok.