Re: entering Unicode characters as hex numbers not documented

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: entering Unicode characters as hex numbers not documented
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:46:50 +0200 (CEST)

> > Please add documentation and index entries (for `unicode', `ucs',
> > `utf-8', etc.) for the function `ucs-insert'!  IMHO this is a very
> > essential function, and after the release it will become quite
> > important, I think.
>
> Evidently, someone thinks that it's not worth documenting, since it is
> marked as such in etc/NEWS.

Hmmm.  I don't understand this decision.  How shall Joe User find this
function?  Even I who am quite accustomed to the Emacs source files
had to search for more than 10 minutes because the function's name
neither has `unicode' nor `code' nor `character' in its name, and an
`apropos unicode' doesn't give anything useful.  I didn't give up
because I *knew* that there is such a function but forgot its name.

Additionally, there are a lot of Unicode characters which aren't
accessible with quial input methods.  How do you enter such characters
then if not with `ucs-insert'?

    Werner