RE: with-output-to-temp-buffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: with-output-to-temp-buffer
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:29:54 -0700

    > should something be said about this in the doc - for example,
    > say something about what with-output-* does, and mention that it
    > might be faster than creating and setting a buffer?

    i am against adding performace-related documentation.  usually
    such info is implementation-specific (prone to eventual bit-rot).
    emacswiki is a better place for this kind of stuff, IMHO -- the
    expectation that info there can/will-be changed is much higher.

I actually agree, and you stated the reasons well.

In this case, it's not clear to me whether this is just a matter of
implementation or whether there might be some difference in functionality
that I'm not aware of.

If the latter, then it would be good to add some more info about what
with-output-to-temp-buffer does, to make this difference clear.

If the former, then, yes, implementation concerns should not be documented.
I'd still be curious about what is going on, however.