Re: PURESIZE increased (again)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PURESIZE increased (again)
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 14:53:28 +0300

> From: Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:40:30 +0200
>
> > Meanwhile, I will try to prepare a GDB session that we could use to
> > compare the pure space allocation during loadup.
>
> I just wanted to state that I still need to use
> "-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=100000" to avoid an overflow on x86_64
> (GNU/Linux) even after the recent increase of BASE_PURESIZE[1].  90000
> is not sufficient.  On i686 (GNU/Linux) I need 140000 (130000 is not
> sufficient).

I've looked around some more with GDB, and here's what I'd like you to
do.

Run temacs under GDB, and type these commands:

    (gdb) b Fload
    (gdb) commands
    >p file
    >xstring
    >end
    (gdb) r -batch -l loadup

Then, whenever Fload is called, GDB will display the name of the file
that is about to be loaded.  When it shows "emacs-lisp/byte-run", type
the following commands:

    (gdb) set height 0
    (gdb) b alloc.c:4718
    (gdb) commands
    >bt 2
    >xbacktrace
    >continue
    >end
    (gdb) c

This will run for a while until it finishes loading byte-run, and stop
on the next call to Fload.  At that time, please copy everything that
GDB displayed until that point, and put it somewhere on the Web where
I can read it (or post here).  I will then compare with what I see on
my system.  (If possible, please do this with a 32-bit build, as my
access top a 64-bit host is sporadic.)

TIA