Re: Problem report: No syntax highlight for C

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem report: No syntax highlight for C
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 22:27:33 +0300

> Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:44:41 +0800
> From: "Jie Zhang" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > I'm guessing that you had some stale *.elc files in your tree, and
> > "make bootstrap" cured that, because it removes all *.elc files and
> > recompiles them anew.
> >
> Is it possible that the *.elc in my previous installed emacs caused
> this issue?

Yes, that's what I tried to explain above.

> But I don't have to do "make boostrap" when there is an emacs in
> stalled.

Sometimes, you need to do that, especially when some unexpected and
strange problems happen.  The build procedure is not smart enough to
detect all of those situations.

> How about to make "make bootstrap" the default when doing "make"?

That would not be very wise: bootstrap takes much more time, and is
most of the time unnecessary if one resync's with the CVS frequently
enough.  See INSTALL.CVS for more about this.  If bootstrap becomes
the default, many users will be unnecessarily punished.