Re: pop-up-frames inconvenience

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pop-up-frames inconvenience
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:23:10 -0400

>> when pop-up-frames is customized to t, the frames proliferate without
>> end and have to be explicitly deleted.
>> e.g., C-x m (`compose-mail') now creates a new frame that does not go
>> away automatically when I hit C-c C-c (`message-send-and-exit').

> one way to handle this would be to make all frames created by
> display-buffer (as opposed to an explicit C-x 5 2 `make-frame-command')
> dedicated.

That's indeed what I've implemented here (and proposed, but only for
post-22), by making "dedicated" into a 3-valued variable (a window can be
softly-dedicated, which basically means "this window was created in order to
display the current buffer" but doesn't prevent switching to another
buffer).

        Stefan