Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 11:47:36 +0200

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim F. Storm wrote:
>
>>(defun redisplay-now (&optional object)
>>  "Force immediate display update of all windows.
>>If optional arg object is a frame, update display of that frame only.
>>If optional arg object is a window, update display of that window only.
>>If object is a buffer or buffer name, update display of all windows
>>displaying that buffer."
>>  ;; There is currently no way to update individual windows, so
>>  ;; update everything.
>>  (let ((redisplay-dont-pause t))
>>    (sit-for 0)))
>>

> This would be great IMO.

Thinking some more about this, I'm a bit puzzled about what specific
purpose anyone would have from doing this ...

In most cases, if there are no changes to other parts of the frame,
redisplay will not spend time on updating them...  So if the concern
is that updating all windows/frames is performance related, I think
that's a non-issue.

And even if it _does_ redisplay all windows/frames, only the actual
changes to the display are actually propagated to the screen.

So I'm back to supporting the original proposal of having an explicit
"redisplay now" functionality ... but I propose to implement it as a
special call to sit-for: (sit-for t) or perhaps as
(sit-for 0 'redisplay-dont-pause).