Calling Info-find-file from other parts of Emacs

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Calling Info-find-file from other parts of Emacs
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:51:00 +0200

Hi,

AUCTeX currently uses `Info-find-file' for checking if certain info
files are available.  There are two problems with that.

First, the function is not autoloaded.  That's why AUCTeX autoloads it
manually, which of course fails with Emacs 21 where the function is
not present and which will break should the function ever be moved to
another file.  (I think, I can code around that problem.)  So maybe
the function can be autoloaded?

Second, if the function is called before the canonical entry point
`info' (or `Info-goto-node' for that matter) is called, the variable
`Info-directory-list' will not be initialized and search for any file
will fail.  Could initialization of `Info-directory-list' be done by
`Info-find-file' as well, or maybe even by loading info.el?

With the above changes the function could be used reliably by other
parts of Emacs.  Does this make sense or is there another way of
checking for the availability of info files?

--
Ralf