Re: [OT] Netiquette

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [OT] Netiquette
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:26:14 +0200

Alastair Houghton <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No, I didn't.
>>
>> Yes, you did,
>
> I most certainly did not.  All *I* did was complain that I didn't
> like your remark; I didn't invite and don't care for a discussion on
> the subject.

So if others don't like your remarks and complain, they start a
discussion, whereas you do no such thing when doing the same?

In particular when lecturing about the moral obligations of people
with a gnu.org address, when quite a few of those are hanging out on
the list?  It does not appear to you that you are asking people to
behave differently from what you do yourself?

This is a developer list.  Developers are not necessarily perfect
diplomats, and a lot of technical and design controversies are fought
out on the list.  I think it unlikely that you'll find a single list
participant who will state that he finds all others on the list
perfectly pleasant (and I certainly don't do much to improve the
record).  But the ultimate purpose of this list is to improve Emacs,
not improve the other developers.

My pointer to the documentation was not very helpful, but I was tired
when I posted it, and I remembered that I had read this in the
documentation.  I did not remember actually where, and I was not in
the mood to dig around.

If you want to have the last word on this matter, that's fine with me
and I'd ask others to leave it to you.  It is obvious enough that all
that could have been worth saying has been said.