Re: [OT] Netiquette

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [OT] Netiquette
Date: 14 Jun 2006 14:09:56 -0400

Alastair Houghton <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe you thought I was bluffing, but I'm afraid I'm not,
> so---thanks to you---I'm withdrawing my patch and I won't
> be signing any copyright forms sent by the FSF.

the choice is yours.  thanks for posting the patch, anyway.
perhaps someone will get ideas from reading it and make
useful changes to asm-mode.el in the future.

some observations for the next patch, should you have a
change of heart:

 - the function asm-set-comment-char allows for very
   dynamic comment char.  i wonder how useful that would
   be in practice -- do assembler language files often
   contain different regions w/ varying comment chars?
   (i.e., can we get same results w/ asm-mode-hook?)

 - docstrings conventionally have the grammar style:
   "Return foo..." instead of "Returns foo...".  also,
   they should mention the function's arguments.

 - error messages conventionally begin w/ a capital
   letter.

 - the need to refontify strikes me as unclean.
   perhaps this is related to the first point above.

see info nodes `(elisp) Tips' and `(elisp) Major Mode'
for more information.  if you have difficulty w/ that
documentation, please start another thread.

(i will bow out of this thread now.)

thi