Re: address@hidden: pyhon mode indentation problem]

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: address@hidden: pyhon mode indentation problem]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:44:06 +0200

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:09:49 -0400
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

#> Maybe someone would like to work on this.

This particular thing is, AFAIU, not a bug.

Nevertheless, is anybody maintaining python.el? I tried using it once
and it seemed rather cumbersome. I am not sure if I have time and/or
skills to improve it... but if nobody else is working on it, I might
give it a shot.

#> the problem is especially obvious on the line marked #1, or #2 Try
#> moving the indentation to column 0. Emacs will say "sole
#> indentation".

I am not sure I understand:

If I move the #1 line so that it starts at column 0 (i.e. is not
indentated at all) and press TAB, it will indent correctly, with 4
spaces. After that, though, subsequent TABs will result in "sole
indentation" message -- this is a feature: TAB in python-mode cycles
through all possible (syntactically valid) indentations (of which
there is only one in this case).

Or did you mean something else by "moving the indentation to column 0"?

Similarly, calling 'indent-for-tab-command' (this is what TAB is bound
for me in emacs -q) on line #2 indents it properly with 4 spaces (it
is indented with 3 in your email). Subsequent TABs give message "sole
indentation" -- which it is.

What did you expect to happen?

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity.