Re: Difficult to get out the completions window

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Difficult to get out the completions window
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:22:29 +0200

Nick Roberts wrote:
Lennart Borgman writes:
> It is quite difficult to close the completion window once you have > entered it (with M-v for example). I suggest the following behaviour > when focus is in the completion window: > > 1) On C-g close the completion window and move back to the minibuffer. > This is what happens if you type ESC ESC ESC which runs > delete-completion-window. > > 2) If the completion window is closed with C-x 0 then move back to the > minibuffer.

These are global bindings, I don't think that they should be locally rebound.
The binding of ESC ESC ESC to delete-completion-window is local here I suppose. Binding C-x 0 and C-G to delete-completion-window too would not be to surprising in my opinion, but instead helpful.
> BTW nothing is said in the Emacs manual "(emacs) Completion Commands" > about how to get out of the completion window.

You need to go back to the minibuffer before typing C-g, but that's the case
for any command which prompts in the minibuffer if you switch windows, even
without completion.
Yes, but how do you do that from the keyboard? (Without using ESC ESC ESC which is special here, but BTW not mentioned in the manual.)