RE: address@hidden: Detached minibuffer cropped text]

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: address@hidden: Detached minibuffer cropped text]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:19:17 +0100

Here's yet another quirk that may help track down the problem.  From the
original bug report, if I do:

xrdb -load
^D
src/emacs -Q --font=9x15 --eval '(setq minibuffer-frame-alist (quote ((width
. 80) (height . 1))) initial-frame-alist (quote ((minibuffer))))'

Then the detached minibuffer has insufficient space for the trailing parts
of 9x15 characters such as "y".  Also, there are a few pixels to the right
of the right fringe.

If I put WM focus in the detached minibuffer and do:

M-x set-frame-font RET 9x15bold RET

Then Emacs resizes the minibuffer frame to have sufficient height for 9x15
characters and removes the extra pixels to the right of the right fringe.
The same thing happens if the default font is 9x15bold and then I change it
to 9x15.

This suggests to me that it is somehow a problem within Emacs - it does not
get it right on startup but it does get it right if the font is changed
while running.

How can I help you track the cause of this?  Simon.