Re: address@hidden: vc-diff uses unknown -L switch]

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: address@hidden: vc-diff uses unknown -L switch]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:35:41 +0100

> Whoever looks at this, would you please ack this message
> when it is done?

I've just installed a patch to deal with this.  It uses the same
mechanism that VC already uses to find out if rcsdiff understands the
--brief option.  VC will first try to use -L, and then remember whether
it worked in the new variable vc-diff-knows-L.

The patch assumes that a "diff" that does not understand -L returns
error code 2 when the option is used.  I have not been able to verify
this with Solaris 8 diff, but I'm pretty sure that this is how it's
reported.

If anybody sees a more elegant way to implement this, please don't
hesitate to change it.