Re: Unreliability in CVS access

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: Unreliability in CVS access
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 12:36:37 -0700

On Jun 24, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

Has anyone investigated this problem?  It is a serious problem,
which is why I put it in FOR-RELEASE.

There used to be a bad interaction between CVS and SSH.
A year ago I convinced the CVS developers to make a change
designed to solve the problem.  Is this that same problem?
I am not sure, but the fact that the problem never happens
with Emacs 21 suggests the bug is in Emacs.

JD Smith, are you using CVS thru SSH?
Does the problem go away with the latest CVS?
Does the latest CVS contain a fix for the problem
as they discussed it a year ago?

Though I have not exercised CVS through SSH much recently, I have not had the problem recur (same CVS version). My vague impression was that it was related to a temporary or intermittent configuration issue on the server (e.g. savannah) side which persisted for several weeks in April, but I don't have much more to go on than that. Stefan Monnier mentioned other reports of the same or similar problem, so perhaps tracking those down would yield progress. Sorry I don't have more help to offer. I will certainly keep an eye out for recurrence.

JD