Re: Patch to remove minor modes in tutorial

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch to remove minor modes in tutorial
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:33:36 -0400

    Some minor modes have no keybindings so they can not disturb the
    tutorial (recentf-mode for example). Well, at least I hope they can not.
    I think this is very important!

I think it is safer to turn them all off, aside from a specific
list of exceptions.

    > Why ask?  Why not just do it?

    To make the user aware of that Emacs will work differently in the
    tutorial buffer than in other buffer (if the user answers Y).

I agree it is useful to do that, but I think that asking a question
will be confusing in a different way, since it will suggest that it is
reasonable to answer N.  Displaying a message which ends in "Type
SPACE to proceed" is a better way to make sure the user notices the
message.