Re: doc string for face-attribute-relative-p doesn't help

From: John S. Yates, Jr.
Subject: Re: doc string for face-attribute-relative-p doesn't help
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:28:44 -0400

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:57:03 +0900, you wrote:

>"John S. Yates, Jr." <address@hidden> writes:
>> Might "Return non-nil if face ATTRIBUTE VALUE is derived from
>> the inherited face." be clearer?
>
>I'm afraid that doesn't even make sense to me...

Fair enough.  Perhaps I was too quick to respond with too little
knowledge of the actual function being documented.  My guess had
been that the issue was to describe attribute inheritance.  If
that is indeed the case then "relative to" is at best unfamiliar
terminology.

Backing off and focusing only on terminology for describing
definitions, I find "in terms of", "as a function of" or "based
on" all easier to swallow than "defined relative to".

/john