Re: Minimal patch: Use link face as default for button face

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Minimal patch: Use link face as default for button face
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:52:25 +0900

>     I am not sure if I am correct, but it seems to me that the basic
>     "button" is indeed a link. Compare help buffers for example. The "button
>     links" there have the face "button".
>
> Without rechecking when buttons are used and when links are used,
> I don't know how much this is true.  Would someone like to check?

Well... a button is not "basically a link", as there is no standard
default action associated with buttons.

Probably the _majority_ of buttons used in the Emacs distrution act
basically like links, but there are also certainly those that don't
(e.g., in "international/mule-defs.el" it uses a button for changing the
sort order of a displayed table).

As buttons can be defined hierarchically -- a button's behavior is
(usually) defined by its "button-class", and a button-class can inherit
from a superclass -- maybe a cleaner way would be to add a standard
button-class named "link", and make link-like buttons inherit from it.

Then the "link" button class would use the "link" face by default.

-Miles

--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]