Re: W32 to AIX performance

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: W32 to AIX performance
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:28:31 +0200

Michael Mauger <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm currently using GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2006-05-02
> on XP.
>
> I use an up-to-date cygwin ssh to connect to both Solaris and AIX machines
> without problems using RSA keys.  Under the DOS console and cygwin's RXVT it
> works as expected.
>
> Starting an `M-x shell' and then invoking ssh within the comint buffer to a
> Solaris machine works great.  Tramp using the sshx method to the Solaris box
> works as well.
>
> Doing the same with the AIX box however is problematic.  Under comint, the
> response is so slow that it is unusable.  For example, more than a minute to
> `ls' an empty directory and get the next prompt.  The output does not come
> slowly, but rather all appears at the end of a long wait.

Does setting process-adaptive-read-buffering to nil help?

>                                                            Tramp using sshx
> is
> unusable because it times out.  In fact, under Emacs, any interaction with
> the
> AIX box exhibits this behavior.

Is Emacs non-responsive when this happens, or using a lot of CPU?

Can you use a debugger to see what emacs is doing when it is waiting for
output from the AIX box?

You may have to interrupt the execution several times and make a backtrace
to see if there is a specific point where emacs is stuck.