Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:16:13 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

Jason Rumney wrote:

As I said at the start of the thread, it would be correct for Emacs
to flush its autosave buffers to disk at this point, but not to
start asking all the questions that save-buffers-kill-emacs
does. What if Emacs is on a secondary monitor, and the Graphics
driver shuts it off when it receives the shutdown message? Emacs
will be delaying shutdown waiting for a response, while the user
cannot see it.
The problem with autosave is that data might be lost if the user
happens to use some other tool to edit the files afterwards.

Tough.  That's what "editing" means.  I don't want changes saved
without my saying so: that might end up the file in a terminally ill
state, like when I cut out a large region for the purpose of pasting
it somewhere else, and then Emacs shuts down.

Recovering a session is good enough for me.
I think this must be a misunderstanding. No one is talking about saving changes without the user saying so. The purpose of the patch is that Emacs should be able to ask the user at logooff/shutdown to save the changes. The situation now is that the changes are thrown away if they are not saved before.

This patch is only for w32 but I really hope the situation is better on other platforms. If not I would encourage change.