Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:42:55 +0200

Mathias Dahl wrote:
I think this must be a misunderstanding. No one is talking about saving
changes without the user saying so. The purpose of the patch is that
Emacs should be able to ask the user at logooff/shutdown to save the
changes. The situation now is that the changes are thrown away if they
are not saved before.

If Microsoft's guide lines are what someone stated here, maybe the
reason for them is that the shutdown process is considered to have
higher priority than a user's unsaved data? If that is the case,
halting that process maybe isn't such a good idea. Someone said that
the autosave is enough and I agree. Your argument against it, that
someone might edit the file from some other program before using the
auto save data, does not seem like a very likely scenario. Or is it?

I am unsure about that guideline since I have never seen it. However the InitiateSystemShutdown API has a parameter called bForceAppsClosed with the following description:

If this parameter is TRUE, applications with unsaved changes are to be forcibly closed. Note that this can result in data loss. If this parameter is FALSE, the system displays a dialog box instructing the user to close the applications.

(See http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms723171.aspx)

So the system can be rebooted or shutdown whatever the software running on it does. During normal system shutdown however the parameter is TRUE as far as I can see from the behaviour.