Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:33:17 -0400

> This is an item that needs doing for the release:
>
>     ** Update facemenu-unlisted-faces, adding whatever other
>     face name prefixes should be in it for good results.
>
> Would someone please do this and ack?
> We are getting really close to starting pretesting;
> please help move things along.

The faces I see in my long-running Emacs session, which were "let
through" by facemenu-unlisted-faces, are:

default
bold
italic
bold-italic
underline
isearch
lazy-highlight
file-name-shadow
query-replace
match
buffer-menu-buffer
tooltip
button
help-argument-name

I don't know what faces ought not to be there.  Probably `tooltip',
`help-argument-name', etc. ought not to be there, but what's the
criterion?

Assuming the facemenu is meant for users to select a face to put into
whatever buffer they are editing (via Edit->Text Properties->Face), I
would argue that the facemenu should be populated by an include list
rather than an exclude list.  I suggest just the following:

bold
bold-italic
default
fixed-pitch