Re: Hi, I'm back! + Re: Strange eval-after-load

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Hi, I'm back! + Re: Strange eval-after-load
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 20:18:51 +0100

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 01:28:33PM -0400, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> >     ;; Make edebug understand the macros.
> >     (eval-after-load "edebug"
> >       '(progn
> >            (def-edebug-spec cc-eval-when-compile t)
> >            (def-edebug-spec c-point t)
> >        ))

> each defmacro can include a `declare' form which
> can include a (debug SPEC) clause.  i wonder if:

>   (def-edebug-spec cc-eval-when-compile t)

> is equivalent to

>   (defmacro cc-eval-when-compile (...)
>     (declare (debug t))
>     ...)

Ah.  I didn't know about that.  Thanks!

> ?  if so, these particular usages of `eval-after-load'
> are no longer necessary.

This feature is not documented in the Elisp for Emacs 21, and is thus
probably available only in GNU Emacs 22.  Even after the release of Emacs
22, it will still be necessary to Edebug CC Mode with other Emacsen.

I don't think this invalidates my main point, namely that there are valid
uses of eval-after-load.

--
Alan.