Re: Strange eval-after-load

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Strange eval-after-load
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 14:50:10 +0100

Guten Tag, David!

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 12:21:45PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > Morning, Richard!

> > On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 06:30:55PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> >>     > Starting immediately, please do NOT install calls to eval-after-load
> >>     > in Emacs without asking for my specific approval.
> >>
> >>     I would beg you not to be so dogmatic.
> >
> >> This rule is the only way to get control over the situation.

> > I don't really understand what the situation is over which control has
> > to be got.  It is possible to to use eval-after-load badly, just as it
> > is possible to use goto badly.  That's a far cry from demonstrating that
> > all e-a-l's/goto's are bad.

> What about "asking for my specific approval" did you not understand?

Hee!  I'll admit I didn't really see that bit.  However, knowing some of
the people on this mailing list, it seems unlikely they'll knuckle under
to this piece of bureaucracy, however enlightenedly it might be
exercised.  ;-)  I think people will either just quietly commit
eval-after-loads, or they'll write clumsy abstruse workarounds.

> That's a far cry from claiming that all e-a-l's/goto's are bad.

Not really - the implication, a most strong one, is there.  At the
moment, nobody is ready to defend the notion that e-a-l's are bad.  Not
even you.  :-(

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)