Re: Strange eval-after-load

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Strange eval-after-load
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:54:02 +0100

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 06:06:58PM +0100, John Paul Wallington wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> >     ;; Make edebug understand the macros.
> >     (eval-after-load "edebug"
> >       '(progn
> >            (def-edebug-spec cc-eval-when-compile t)
> >            (def-edebug-spec c-point t)
> >            (def-edebug-spec c-set-region-active t)
> >        ))

> How about getting rid of the (eval-after-load "edebug" '(progn ... ))
> form and instead replacing the `def-edebug-spec' calls with (put
> 'mumble 'edebug-form-spec 'spec) at toplevel ?  Or alternatively
> having those `def-edebug-spec' calls appear at toplevel where they
> would be expanded to `put' calls when compiled provided that
> `def-edebug-spec' is defined (untested) ?

Ah, thanks!  So the thing to do would be to load edebug at compile time,
and expand the `def-edebug-spec' macros at compile time.  This would
surely work.  Well, it will work if we can guarantee that every Emacs
where somebody's going to be installing CC Mode _has_ edebug.  Or
putting in another wearisome check for it.  But....

What's wrong with the `eval-after-load' call as it stands?

Making this change would entail checking that it works with at least 4
versions of Emacs and XEmacs.  That might not be much work, but it's a
lot more than none at all.  With the paperwork in committing the
changes, we could be talking about 2 - 4 hours to do this.  Why?

--
Alan.