Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:55:40 +0200

Lennart Borgman wrote:
If Microsoft's guide lines are what someone stated here, maybe the
reason for them is that the shutdown process is considered to have
higher priority than a user's unsaved data? If that is the case,
halting that process maybe isn't such a good idea. Someone said that
the autosave is enough and I agree. Your argument against it, that
someone might edit the file from some other program before using the
auto save data, does not seem like a very likely scenario. Or is it?

I am unsure about that guideline since I have never seen it. However the InitiateSystemShutdown API has a parameter called bForceAppsClosed with the following description:

If this parameter is TRUE, applications with unsaved changes are to be forcibly closed. Note that this can result in data loss. If this parameter is FALSE, the system displays a dialog box instructing the user to close the applications.

(See http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms723171.aspx)

So the system can be rebooted or shutdown whatever the software running on it does. During normal system shutdown however the parameter is TRUE as far as I can see from the behaviour.

Could the problem that users unsaved data are not saved on w32 in this situation be put in FOR-RELEASE? I think it is a serious bug.

I have already sent a patch for this, but I have got no response on that. There is possibly disagreement on what to do, but something should be done and I do believe that the correct fix should make Emacs follow the guidelines on w32. Jason said he had read them. I asked for a link to them, but I have not seen it yet. Instead I provided the above snippet.